This week we had a recruiter from a local health care company visit our Goodman Street Career Center to speak with job seekers about the company, their culture and the application and hiring process. She discussed some of the common issues she sees job seekers facing when they apply and provided some great tips that are always important to remember while you’re job searching. Here’s are some things to keep in mind to make sure you’re making the right impression when you apply:
- Before applying for any position, visit the employer’s website both to review the job postings and to learn about the company culture. This is a great way to determine if the organization is a good fit with your goals and priorities.
- If a company has multiple job postings, make sure to read through each one carefully and only apply to those that are the best fit for you.
- Follow the company’s application guidelines and processes. If they ask you to complete an application and send in a resume, make sure to complete both steps!
- When completing an application, make sure all the information you include is true and accurate. Companies are checking your information today more than ever! If you can’t remember the dates of your employment with companies you worked for in the past, call your old supervisor or the HR Department to find out.
- Be sure that your resume highlights your qualifications and how they relate to the position you are applying for. The resume should have a clean look and help the recruiter make a direct link between your experience and the job you’re interested in.
- Include only business references including past supervisors or managers, old co-workers, or folks you’ve volunteered with. NO family or friends.
- Finally, in today’s world of online applications there is less contact than ever between recruiters and candidates. Take every opportunity to attend job fairs and other community presentations to make a connection with a recruiter. Before you approach them, make sure to do your research so you can speak knowledgeably about the company and the position you’re interested in. They will remember you!