DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This is an entry level unskilled position involving a variety of routine heavy and light manual labor tasks. The employee reports directly to and works under the general supervision of a higher-level employee or Superintendent of Parks. The job requires physical endurance. Position will be required to work outdoors in all kinds of weather and may be required to work overtime and Holidays (July 4th in particular). Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Rental facility cleaning;
- Collects garbage and rubbish;
- Athletic field maintenance included paint striping for athletic games;
- Plants and prunes trees, grades lawns, rakes leaves, cuts grass and brush, weeds flower beds and assists in other park grounds maintenance activities;
- Park trail maintenance including stone and bark chip spreading;
- Playground maintenance tasks;
- Performs general building cleaning tasks such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, and washing;
- Loads and unloads vehicles and trucks;
- Assists with recreation department program set ups and events;
- Assists with painting and unskilled carpentry tasks and general park maintenance;
- Drives pick-up truck or other light vehicle for the delivery of supplies;
- Operates small park equipment as a trainee under direct supervision;
- Keep building and/or work areas of a jobsite clean and organized as necessary to maintain safe and productive work;
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of the use of hand tools;
- working knowledge, the use of motorized equipment (ex: mower, trimmer, saws etc.);
- working knowledge of ground maintenance activities;
- working knowledge of building cleaning methods;
- working knowledge of specific hazards and safety precautions;
- ability to do heavy manual labor, including lifting;
- ability to follow instructions;
- ability to work under direct supervision;
- ability to establish good working relationships with others;
- ability to work under all weather conditions;
- manual dexterity;
- physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Must be able to work in strenuous conditions; able to lift up to 50 pounds
- This position requires physical endurance and good physical health.
- Must have good interpersonal skills, be dependable and have reliable transportation.
- Must have a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator's License Class D.
- There are no training and experience qualifications
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send or drop off in person an application to:
Town of Brighton
Attn: Parks Department
220 Idlewood Road
Rochester New York, 14618
- Applications can be found on the Town’s website at www.townofbrighton.org. See “Resources”, “Job Opportunities”.
- Applications will be accepted until April 30, 2019
- The Town will contact perspective applicants to schedule interviews; please do not call the Parks Department directly.