VMD is seeking Transportation Security Officers (TSO) to work at the Greater Rochester International Airport.
This position performs a variety of duties related to providing security and protection of air traveler’s airports and aircrafts. Specifically, you will be responsible for identifying dangerous objects in baggage cargo and/or on passengers; and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft. You are required to perform various tasks such as: wanding pat down searches operation of x-ray machines lifting of baggage (up to 50 pounds) and screening and ticket review using electronic and imaging equipment. As a VMD Transportation Security Officer you may perform passenger screening baggage screening or both. You are expected to perform these duties in a courteous and professional manner.
Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Provides the traveling public with the highest levels of security customer service and professionalism.
- Performs a variety of duties related to providing security and protection of air travelers airports and aircrafts and various tasks such as: pat down searches operation of x-ray machines property searches and ticket document checking using electronic and imaging equipment.
- Continuously and effectively interact with the public giving directions and responding to inquiries in a reasonable tone and manner.
- Stand and remain standing for periods up to three hours without sitting.
- Lift and/or assist another individual to lift (from the ground) an object weighing 50 pounds.
- Maintain focus and awareness within a stressful environment containing numerous distractions which includes noise from alarms machinery people time pressure disruptive and disruptive passengers and the requirement to identify and locate potentially life-threatening devices and devices intended on creating massive destruction.
- Make effective decisions in both crisis and routine situations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma GED or equivalent; or minimum one-year work experience in security work aviation screener work or x-ray technician work.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Must possess excellent communication skills and the ability to represent VMD in a positive and professional manner when interacting with the traveling public and stakeholders.
- Excellent visual observation and identification skills.
- Skill sufficient to operate all advanced technologies and security equipment at screening checkpoints.
- Must have the ability to attain dual function certification.
- Must be proficient in English (reading writing speaking and listening).
- Must possess excellent mental abilities (visual observation and identification mental rotation).
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills (responsibility honesty integrity).
- Must possess excellent work values.
- Able to work irregular hours and/or shifts including split shifts holidays weekends overtime and extended hours.
- Able to successfully complete required classroom and on-the-job training and certification exams.
- Ability to obtain a successful background investigation including criminal and credit checks required. Credit checks that reveal any one of the following will result in ineligibility for this position:
- Defaulted on $7500 or more in debt (excluding certain circumstances of bankruptcy);
- Owe any delinquent federal or state taxes; or
- Owe any past due child support payments
- Must be a US citizen or US National
To be eligible one MUST meet the following medical standards:
- Distance vision correctable to 20/30 better in the best eye and 20/100 or better in the worse eye
- Near vision correctable to 20/50 or better binocular
- Color perception (e.g. red green blue yellow orange purple brown black white gray) note: color filters (e.g. contact lenses) for enhancing color discrimination are prohibited
- Hearing as measured by audiometry cannot exceed: a) an average hearing loss of 30 decibels (ANSI) at 500 1000 2000 and 3000Hz in each ear b) single readings of 50 decibels at 2000 or 3000 Hz in each ear c) single reading of 55 decibels at 4000 Hz in each ear
- Adequate joint mobility dexterity and range of motion strength and stability (to lift and move up to 50 pounds) as well as a complete medical evaluation including cardiovascular system hypertension etc.
- Ability to maintain focus awareness and work within a stressful environment which includes noise for alarms machinery people distractions and time pressure
- Pass a Drug and Alcohol Screening and random screening.
Other Conditions of Continued Employment:
In addition, you must successfully complete any required training at the FLETC Training Academy located in Glynco GA or at another location determined by TSA. This will be followed with on-the-job training and a certification examination.
Continued employment is contingent upon passing recurrent training and certification exams on a periodic basis.
This is a non-critical sensitive National Security position that requires you to be fingerprinted photographed and complete appropriate security paperwork including a TSA background Investigation for National Security Positions.
VMD provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable Federal, state and local laws. VMD maintains a drug-free workplace.
TO APPLY ONLINE: CLICK HERE