Villa of Hope
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Under the general direction of the Food Service Manager, the Cook is responsible for the production of all food served within assigned sites. The cook ensures that requirements for appropriate sanitation and safety levels are adhered to regarding preparation, quality, and cost control. This individual assists, as needed, with inventory control. This position is responsible for preparing all foods using standardized recipes, interacts with staff in a friendly professional manner, follows job flow, attends in-services and meetings as requested and completes special cleaning assignments. Carries out all job responsibilities with fidelity and accountability to the Agency’s Mission, Vision, Values, Guiding Principles and Strategic Plan.
• Works within our system to prepare food that is of the highest quality and safety measures following all Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point standards.
• Works hand-in-hand with other kitchen staff.
• Completes cleaning and sanitizing tasks in a timely manner. Practices “clean as you go” technique. Labels and dates all products, fills out appropriate logs daily.
• Uses inventory wisely and keeps management informed of quality issues as they arise.
• Follows all department and Villa of Hope policies and procedures.
• Ensure that a good standard of hygiene and cleanliness is maintained throughout the kitchen and dining area, to meet the required standards of practice
• To conform to the Child Nutrition Program procedures.
• Ensure that all equipment is well maintained, in good working order and to log any defects and report them to the Manager.
• To prepare, cook, and serve well balanced meals and beverages to the highest quality incorporating, cultural and dietary needs as required by the residents and cottage staff.
• Works closely with residents to plan menus that reflect choice and preferences.
• Purchase supplies in accordance with the planned menu, whilst monitoring and controlling service from suppliers.
• Ensure all stock ordered is consistent with planned menus that reflect choice and preference.
• Work closely with Program Manager to ensure catering services are provided to the appropriate standards to residents.
• Maintain and check First Aid equipment within the Kitchen.
• Carry out good food Management, temperature controls and documentation according to current Food Hygiene regulations.
• Work closely with Program management team, by maintaining the budget.
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adheres to established policies and procedures and makes suggestions for improvement as needed.
• Participates in on-going training and staff development provided by the Program and/or Agency.
• Demonstrates, promotes, and practices cultural competency towards clients, families and staff with respect and understanding achieved through training and Agency cultural activities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE JOB
High School/GED diploma
1-3 years of experience are required; experience in in large-scale food production is preferred. Candidates must have a valid NYS driver’s license and must meet agency driving standards.
Safe Serve Certification
First Aid, CPR & AED Certification (Agency will provide)
Valid NY State Driver’s License required that meets Agency’s driver guidelines.
• Ability to work with young people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to accurately document all food activities and write clear and detailed report.
• Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated customer service skills.
• Must have or have ability to obtain First Aid, CPR and AED certification.
• Ability to work varied shifts/weekends.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following lists physical demands an employee will perform on a regular basis: standing, walking, sitting, bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling and climbing; Must be able to perform a variety of household tasks, climb stairs, move throughout the cottage or group home, work cooperatively in a team environment and quickly respond to emergencies.
To apply for this job please visit mycompas.net.