Klein Steel Services
Drives a tractor-trailer to transport materials to and from specified destinations, by performing the following duties.
The team member will be trained under Supervisor’s guidance or designated representative utilizing Job Qualification Requirements (JQR) in all assigned areas. A team member is not able to operate equipment such as cranes, forklifts and side loaders, until the applicable (JQR) is successfully completed and signed off by the Trainer and the Supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (Other duties may be assigned):
- Delivering metal material/products via heavy commercial vehicle.
- Pre-trip of vehicle inspection.
- Securing of load per Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
- Unloading of products at customer locations (will involve climbing ladders, walking on top of a vehicle, attaching chains or guiding forks and moving tarps as needed).
- Exceptional customer service.
- Tarp all loads as per Company policy.
- Verifying load against shipping papers.
- Verifying material at customer’s location.
- Ensure daily log book is filled out as required. Maintain truck log according to state and federal regulations.
- Communicating delivery problems to Distribution Manager.
- Maintain contact with supervisor to receive delivery instructions.
- Prepare receipts for loads picked up.
- Reconciling truck shipping documents.
- Maintain vehicle maintenance schedule.
- Identifying potential customers.
- Calling customers regarding delivery times.
- Collecting payment for goods delivered and for delivery charges.
- Assisting in loading and unloading truck as necessary.
- Inspecting truck equipment and supplies such as tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil, and water.
- Must adhere to all safety rules and regulations. Attention to safety must be adhered to at all times. Unsafe practices or situations must be reported to a supervisor immediately.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Technical Skills – Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions immediately to supervisor; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Oral and Written Communication – Speaks and writes clearly, informatively, and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions. Has the ability to read and interpret written information.
- Motivation – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others. Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans. Is cost conscious and conserves organizational resources.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments. Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan. Is consistently at work and on time; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Initiative – Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values. Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Possess the Integrity & Character and have Interpersonal Communications Skills to interact with internal customers.
- Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required; At least 6 months of Class A driving experience or at least 3 years of hauling steel in a Class A vehicle.
Additional Skills and Experience:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals as well as customer supplied blue prints. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of team members of the organization. Ability to comprehend and follow verbal and written instructions and procedures.
- Good math skills are essential. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; Must have an acceptable score on the company basic math and measuring test.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and keep up with the daily demands of production.
Certificates, Licenses or Registrations:
Valid and clean Class A Commercial Driver’s License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in a fast-paced environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the team member is regularly required to stand and walk.
The team member is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The team member is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fast-paced environment and moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Team member must have ability to withstand extreme hot and cold temperatures as they may occur occasionally.
To apply for this job email your details to Mvanthof@kleinsteel.com