RochesterWorks! Second Chance Monroe, a one-year grant through Monroe County Industrial Development Council, is a partnership led by RochesterWorks! in collaboration with the Monroe County Sheriff ‘s Office, and Delphi Rise. RochesterWorks! provides a unique set of customized services to businesses and job seekers at little-to-no cost, preparing a skilled workforce and connecting them with opportunities in our region. Under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, RochesterWorks! operates two full-service American Job Centers and one affiliate center, known as RochesterWorks! career centers, serving Monroe County.
RochesterWorks! Second Chance Monroe will establish a specialized American Job Center site within the Monroe County Correctional Facility at 750 East Henrietta Road. Inmates at the Correctional Facility currently have opportunities to participate in High School Equivalency preparation, English for Speakers of Other Languages, and occupational skills training in three different occupational areas. The pre-release American Job Center will add career assessment, planning, and purpose to the current activities, as well as a smooth transition to RochesterWorks! career center services post release. Two American Job Center staff will provide services both within the Correctional Facility and at the 255 N. Goodman Street Career Center. This partnership will serve 75 participants, with a focus on meeting the need for skilled workers in the manufacturing and construction industries.
Role Description: The Career Advisor will assess program candidates, provide job seeker services, and assist business services staff in making job placements for program participants. The career advisor will split their time between the Monroe County Correctional Facility and the Goodman Street Career Center. It is a full-time position with working hours Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m., with flexibility to work outside of the regular schedule as needed. The Career Advisor will report to the Goodman Street Career Center Manager.
- Provide the following services to participants, either inside the Correctional Facility or at one of the RochesterWorks! Career Centers:
- One-on-one appointments for initial and comprehensive assessments
- Administration and interpretation of career assessments
- Career guidance
- Individual Employment Plan (IEP) development
- Provision of Labor Market Information (LMI)
- Résumé development
- Mock interviews
- Planning and issuance of supportive services
- Job search assistance, including job referrals
- Group workshops for résumé development, interviewing, and general job search skills
- Management of classroom- and work-based training services
- Work cooperatively with a partner agency Transition Specialist to plan, deliver, and evaluate services provided to participants.
- Maintain participant records using both paper files and an Excel case management tool.
- Actively participate in monthly transition meetings and monthly (or more frequent) case conferences with project staff and partners.
- Utilize incentive and training programs (e.g., on-the-job training, customized training, and tax credits).
- Provide follow-up support services to on-the-job training placements.
- Use the One Stop Operating System (OSOS) and other databases to document services provided to job seeker participants, as well as participant outcomes.
- Bachelor’s degree required with two (2) years’ related experience, or an associate’s degree with four (4) years’ related experience. Related experience means experience working in community or social service programs, preferably including experience working in an employment program and experience working with offenders. Individuals with life experience overcoming significant barriers to work success and stability are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Must have valid NY State driver’s license in good standing along with reliable insured transportation.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility, initiative, creativity, and ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage competing priorities with excellent time management skills.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and related software.
- Employment is subject to clearance to enter Monroe County Jail and Correctional Facilities.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. (Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. This position may require walking, primarily on a level surface, for periods throughout the day; reaching above shoulder height, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Proper lifting techniques required. This position may include lifting up to ten (10) pounds for files and/or computer printouts on occasion.
How to Apply: Submit a résumé to email@example.com. Please state the job title in the subject line of the e-mail.
Application Deadline: Monday, November 19, 2018
RochesterWorks! is an equal opportunity program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
To apply for this job please visit rochesterworks.org.