Career/job fairs and recruitment events are a standard part of job search and are a great way to gather information about new companies and industries and increase your network of business contacts. The August Group has partnered with RochesterWorks and Monroe Community College to host a Career Fair and Networking Event on June 1 at MCC. Click here for additional details including the list of businesses.
Here are a few tips to help you before and during this or any event you attend:
- Review and research the list of employers that will be attending. Use LinkedIn or check out their company website, and network with your contacts for additional information.
- Remember to consider businesses outside of your target industry, because you never know what positions they may be hiring for.
- Bring multiple copies of your resume, along with a pen and paper to record any notes or names of new contacts. If possible, bring some business cards.
- Always remember to dress for success!
- Introduce yourself with a short introduction and a smile. Use your research to ask targeted questions about the company and the open positions.
- Offer to follow-up after the fair and ask for their business card, then follow-up with the information you promised.
RochesterWorks will be offering a workshop on this topic at the Fairport library next week with more detailed information.
And remember to check our Job Fair and Events page for more upcoming events, including businesses attending our Recruiting Round Rochester mini job fairs every Monday from 10am – 1 pm at our Goodman Street Career Center.