RochesterWorks’ Signature 5-Day Interactive Job Search Program
“It's a process that continually reveals new questions and paths lead to personal & professional discovery.”
The 5 Steps to Rapid Employment program, developed by Jay Block, is designed to empower participants by teaching them how to proactively campaign for jobs, not just how to search for them.
5 Steppers will learn how to identify their market value, showcase the results they can produce for employers, develop self-marketing tools, and take control of their careers by implementing strategies that help them keep their job and grow their careers, no matter what changes come along. This process-driven program has helped job seekers find work in less than 1/3 the time of the average - How? 5 Steps is more than just resumes and networking.
The holistic, step-by-step approach to career development combines live, interactive instruction with RochesterWorks! Coaches and a cohort of your peers. Online activities support instruction throughout the program week and the support doesn't end on day five. 5 Step graduates receive ongoing support from an exclusive 5 Steps LinkedIn group, monthly Campaign Team meetings, and one-on-one coaching with RochesterWorks! 5 Steps Certified coaches.
Even if you think you know all there is to know about the job search, we know the 5 Steps to Rapid Employment Program has something to offer you.
Day 1: Learn How to Ride the Emotional Roller Coaster
Wednesday | 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Day One of the 5 Steps Program lays the foundation for success in focus management. Participants will learn how to identify thoughts and beliefs that may be holding them back, how to change those thoughts, and how to ask better questions.
- Understand how beliefs influence decisions
- Principles of Success
- Crafting Courageous Questions
Day 2: Defining Your Goals - Jobs that Enrich Your Life
Thursday | 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Day 2 is all about defining a workplace goal to enrich your life - in other words, "work to live , don't live to work." Instruction builds on day one and dives deeper into what makes you happy both at home and at work. Explore your life values, workplace values, and what options are available that allow you to explore new career pathways.
- Understanding personal and work values
- Identifying those values
- Evaluating opportunities to meet values in different career paths
Day 3: Using Values-Based Resume and Self-Marketing Tools
Friday | 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Step three focuses on communicating value messages and how to showcase the value you have to offer an employer. Participants will learn how to create three specific job campaign documents: a value-based resume, a reference portfolio, and a case study.
- Writing a Value-Based Resume that helps you stand out
- Designing a Reference Portfolio of raving fans
- Preparing a Case Study that demonstrates your expertise
Step 4: Creating a Meticulous Action Plan (MAP)
Monday | 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
If you struggle with putting together a plan for your job search, Day 4 will help you to outline your MAP (Meticulous Action Plan) and you'll feel more organized as well as structured.
- 11 ways job seekers land a job
- Identifying your top methods and strategies for the job campaign
- Planning your time with the end goal in mind
Step 5: Taking Action and Mastering A Few Self-Marketing Tools
Tuesday | 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Day 5 will help you put everything you've learned throughout the week together and teach you how to now market yourself using these new insights.
- The importance of setting up your campaign headquarters
- How to effectively do your research before the interview
- How to bring your best self to the interview
At the end of your info session, you’ll receive a link to the 5 Steps Application. Complete these steps to submit:
- Click the link for the month you’d like to apply for
- Select “Register”
- Select “Checkout"
- Fill out your information
- Select "Submit"
Applications are reviewed by RochesterWorks on the Monday following the application deadline. Accepted applicants are contacted via email.
- Cohorts require a minimum of six participants to run
- Program participants need regular internet access for live sessions and homework
- Homework takes most participants about 2 – 4 hours per night
- To successfully navigate the learning platforms, you’ll need a good basic understanding of how to use the internet
- Virtual cohorts are hosted on Zoom – you’ll need a (free) Zoom account, webcam, and mic (including those built into your laptop, tablet, desktop, or another smart device) to participate fully
- Materials and communications are sent via email – you’ll need to check yours regularly and know how to download and open attachments
- The program must be completed as a whole – applying to the program means committing to all five days of instruction.
- The 5 Steps Info Session is required to apply. Register for an Info Session now online or in person.
Wed, Nov 17, 2021 - Tue, Nov 23, 2021
Applications due: Sat, Nov 6, 2021 by 11:00 p.m. EST
Wed, Jan 19, 2022 - Tue, Jan 25, 2022
Applications due: Sat, Jan 8, 2022 by 11:00 p.m. EST
Wed, Feb 16, 2022 - Tue, Feb 22, 2022
Applications due: Sat, Feb 5, 2022 by 11:00 p.m. EST
Wed, Mar 23, 2022 - Tue, Mar 29, 2022
Applications due: Sat, Mar 12, 2022 by 11:00 p.m. EST
Wed, Apr 20, 2022 - Tue, Apr 26, 2022
Applications due: Sat, Apr 9, 2022 by 11:00 p.m. EST
Wed, May 18, 2022 - Tue, May 24, 2022
Applications due: Sat, May 7, 2022 by 11:00 p.m. EST
Wed, Jun 22, 2022 - Tue, Jun 28, 2022
Applications due: Sat, Jun 11, 2022 by 11:00 p.m. EST